Autism Spectrum Disorder
What is it?
Autism Spectrum Disorder is one of a group of developmental disorders (Pervasive Developmental Disorders) which include:
- Classic Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- PDD-NOS: Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified
- Asperger's: "Atypical" Autism, kids with this condition frequently have good language skills, are socially awkward, do not understand social rules, and are of average to above average intellectually.
- Rett's: (rare) degenerative, very severe affects primarily females.
How its diagnosed
- Appropriately trained professionals via specific clinical criteria.
May not need all types of therapy through out life:
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy (OT)
- Physical Therapy or Physiotherapy (PT)
- Special Education – Some are able to attend a regular or mainstream school and some cases even finish tertiary education.
- Behaviour Management
- Specialised Medical Care /Treatments e.g. for seizures, mental health issues
Return to Disabilities