Intellectual Disorder/Learning Disability
What is it?
It's a "hidden" disability which usually is specific to learning challenages in school or other academic settings.
Not well understood and sometimes there is no apparent cause for a learning disability.
CDC cites 16% in boys and 8% in girls having Learning Disorders (LD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Report 2003(ADHD)
- Reading/Dyslexia – challenges with accurate or fluent word recognition, word decoding, reading rate, reading comprehension
- Writing/Dysgraphia – Impairments in handwriting, spelling, organization of ideas and composition
- Math/Dyscalculia – Difficulty with learning math concepts, memorizing math facts, difficulty organizing numbers and understanding how problems are organized on a page.
How its diagnosed
- Appropriately trained professionals via specific clinical criteria.
May not need all types of therapy through out life:
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy (OT)
- Special Education – Some are able to attend a regular or mainstream school and some cases even finish tertiary education.
Return to Disabilities